Study Permit

Canada has a long and successful history of educating international students. There are many courses available at outstanding educational institutions in Canada. Canadians place a premium on education and demand first-rate schools. Canada spends more per capita on its education than any other country in the G-7.

More than 1,30,000 students come to study in Canada each year. In addition to this number there are many that come to Canada to learn English or French. Foreign students bring a rich culture to Canadian classrooms. Their knowledge and skills are welcome in Canadian schools.

Student Authorizations Are Required :

Citizenship and Immigration Canada requires that foreign individuals who wish to study at Canadian Educational Institutions must obtain Student Authorizations. A Student Authorization is a document issued by Immigration Canada officials that permits a foreign individual to study in Canada, generally at a specific Canadian Educational Institution and in a specific program, and always for a limited time.

Immigration Canada will normally issue a Student Authorization if an applicant has received an acceptance letter from a qualified Canadian Educational Institution, and possesses sufficient funds to pay for tuition and living costs. In some cases, Immigration Canada may require applicants to undergo medical examinations. In addition, holders of Student Authorizations must apply for and be granted Canadian Visitor Visas .

Applicants who wish to study in Montreal or another city in the Province of Quebec will also require approval from immigration authorities of the Government of Quebec.

Immigration Canada generally issues Student Authorizations that are valid for the duration of the intended course of studies. However, international students studying in Montreal or another city in the Province of Quebec must renew their status each year.

Student Authorizations Are Not Required :

Most foreign students will need a Study Permit to study in Canada. There are some exceptions:

  • If the applicant wishes to study in a short-term course or program:
    He does not need a Study Permit if he is planning to take a course or program in Canada with a duration of six months or less. He must complete the course or program within the period authorized for his stay in Canada.
  • If he is a minor child already in Canada:
    He does not need a Study Permit if he is a minor child already in Canada, and his parents are not “visitors” in Canada.
  • Foreign representatives to Canada:
    If the applicant is a family or staff member of a foreign representative to Canada accredited by the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade, he does not need a Students Permit to study.

Study Permit For Those Studying In Canada For 6 Months Or Less:

A person wishing to attend a course of six months duration or less, at any level, does not require a study permit. However, if there is the possibility that he will extend his period of study in Canada or if he is a full time student and wishes to work on campus, he may apply for a study permit.


Spouses, common-law or same sex partners of holders of valid study permits are eligible for an open work permit (provided they are not full-time students themselves). Children of holders of study permits are eligible for open study permits to enable them to study at primary or secondary school in Canada. These should be applied for prior to entry to Canada except for Québec. They are not required to complete a separate application form but should include the processing fee of $125 per study permit when submitting their application. If they are destined for the province of Québec, they should apply for study permits for their children after arrival in Canada.

Working in Canada as an International Student:

Immigration Canada allows International Students to work in Canada in limited situations, including:

  • When the employment is on-campus;
  • When the international student is the recipient of a scholarship;
  • When the work has been certified as being an integral part of the program of study;
  • When the work consists of academic research or a post-doctoral fellowship;